Toongabbie is one of Australia's earliest settlements.
It was the third mainland settlement area established by the Europeans, after Sydney and Parramatta. When Captain Arthur Phillip explored the area in December 1789, it was inhabited by the Toogagal band of the Dharug tribe. The name Toogagal came from the word 'tuga' meaning dense forest.
Toongabbie was named by Govenor Phillip from the Dharruk Aboriginal word meaning 'meeting of the waters'. The Government Farm was established here in 1791 but was gradually broken by land grants. By 1804 it was used for cattle grazing and as a camp for convicts working in the area.
Blacktown learning community
During the past twenty years the Blacktown Learning Community has been, and continues to be, a proactive, empowering group of 25 schools in the Blacktown area of Western Sydney. It provides its students, its staff and its communities with programs, initiatives and educational learning that have been innovative and often at the forefront of education.